How long do you rest between sets?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How long do you rest between sets?

I've been noticing at the gym that people take massive rests between sets to the point where their heart-rates are resting.

This got me curious how long do you rest between sets?

Generally I do the following:

Strength training 1-2 minutes no matter the weight (except warm-up) and I don't exceed 6 reps per set.

Hypertrophy 45-90 seconds depending on body part or weight and I do between 8-12 reps, if I do more I up the weight or reduce rest times.

Hypertrophy and Strength 60-90 seconds and 6-8 reps.
    Last edited by NTRJ; 02-01-2018, 05:54 PM.

I'm the same mate heavy compounds 1-2min max warmed up. Usually sets of 6 or 8.

If I'm doing reps of 10-12 I try not to rest more than 60 secs. I even run a timer most times. I find 45sec to be the best for me.

If I rest too much I feel I loose my "agression" so to speak.

Comment

• Deanwow5
      Deanwow5 commented
      Editing a comment
      8 sets per exercise!? Jeez

• Mick1984
      Mick1984 commented
      Editing a comment
      Jeez is right. I meant reps.

Originally posted by Mick1984 View Post
    I'm the same mate heavy compounds 1-2min max warmed up. Usually sets of 6 or 8.

If I'm doing reps of 10-12 I try not to rest more than 60 secs. I even run a timer most times. I find 45sec to be the best for me.

If I rest too much I feel I loose my "agression" so to speak.
    That's my problem atm Mick, my aggression / mind-muscle control goes and I seem to get lazy + can't feel the activation of the muscle group for some exercises.

Comment

• NTRJ
      NTRJ commented
      Editing a comment
      I mean if I rest too long between sets.

• Mick1984
      Mick1984 commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah definitely 45 secs is really my sweet spot. Sometimes on like a day I train back and chest I'll not superset but sort of rest for 15-20 secs and switch between bodyweight wide grip pull ups and dips. Just a nice pump.
      If I rest to long I loose any focus and pump.

• NTRJ
      NTRJ commented
      Editing a comment
      Haha if I don't have a pump at the end of my session, it was a **** workout

I try to keep it to a minute max between sets. If i take much longer i lose my groove

Comment

45 secs is the go for me I use a stopwatch it's enough rest for me to kill each set and and stay with the heavy weights

Comment

I'm not sure what the go is there, people are the same at my gym at times, it's more like a social gathering, between sets.
        I lose my drive and focus if a wait around.
        My rest times a pretty much the same as NTRJ,
        Those times have been tried and tested.
        I use a timer too.
        Last edited by Megatron; 02-02-2018, 12:31 AM. Reason: Typo

Comment

Originally posted by Megatron View Post
          I'm not sure what the go is there, people are the same at my gym at times, it's more likes social gathering, between sets.
          I lose my drive and focus if a wait around.
          My rest times a pretty much the same as NTRJ,
          Those times have been tried at tested.
          I use a timer too.
          It's ridiculous, they talk between sets and when they see no results they jump on gear.

The other thing I see is people taking way too long between exercises, saw some bloke take 10-15 minutes today.

Comment

• Megatron
            Megatron commented
            Editing a comment
            Hahaha, Those guys are at my gym too.
            I like to train methodical with purpose, in the zone as they say
            Chat with me mates after the session.

85 to 90 seconds, 8 to 10 reps on most things. Bench press I rest for 180 seconds and deadlifts 300 seconds.

Comment

10-20 secs. Vince gironda style.

Comment

• NTRJ
              NTRJ commented
              Editing a comment
              I might try that for a week or two, might pass out cause that's ****ing intense mate.

• Mediocrates
              Mediocrates commented
              Editing a comment
              Tabata ftw

Don’t time it but I’d say around a minute to minute and a half.
            train by myself and don’t take my phone in the gym. No distractions and no one to talk too. Just focus and train as hard as I can

Comment

30 seconds at the most is what feels comfortable for me
              i guess that’s why phone gazes cop it from me when I ask you got much left on that machine bro lol
              never been much in to resting between sets myself

I always do the old Skye myself up before a set definitely helps
              just think of where I want to be in size in 6 months time and Going for a ride on my Harley of how good my new women is to me 👀 mg over at my son who is my training partner seeing him go hard
              somthing like that to boost the moral esteem definitely helps

Comment

My training has always been geared more towards strength, so for big squats or deadlifts my rests range from 2min - 5min. However, that mentality often carries over to my assistance/hypertrophy work where it's usually 2 minutes between sets for me. Lately I've been trying to move towards more of a bodybuilding style, but my endurance absolutely sucks at 1-1.5min rests. For example first set will be for 12 reps, second a minute later i'll get 7 reps, then 5, then I'll have to drop weights to get back up to 8-12 reps. However, with a 2-3minute rest, I can consistently do the same weight for higher reps. Any tips???

Comment

• HeadBeeGuy
                  HeadBeeGuy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I reckon you might be a bit like me in that your always going for the big weights. Usually my rest between sets is feel especially to get back up to 10-12 reps.
                  If i go to quickly i have the same problem and I'm pretty sure its the heavy weight mentality. i Should probably actually work with lighter weight more, probably get better results. Damn mindsets

• HeadBeeGuy
                  HeadBeeGuy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  also, I always work to fail, every set. That may be an issue

• NTRJ
                  NTRJ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ego lifting is a genuine mental condition haha we are all guilty of doing it

i can never do 45s-60s rest. If i do, its gonna be like a big drop set.
                I'm comfortable with 2-2.5min rest usually for smaller muscle groups. About 3-5mins for heavy compounds <5 reps.
                Also i wait until my heart rate returns to normal before next set.

Comment

• phat_dogg
                  phat_dogg commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I’m exactly the same mate. If I try doing short rests all I can lift is little girl weights lol

3-5 minutes for compound exercises - always. Can get away with 2 minutes for isolation movements. Longer rest periods have been shown to be significantly more conductive to strength and hypertrophy because

1. You don't enter your next set in a fatigued state, and

2. This allows you to do more reps, inherently increasing training volume, which is the primary driver of muscle hypertrophy, along with progressive overload. (Increases in weight, reps, and volume over time)

See this study: https://journals.lww.com/nsca-jscr/C..._Muscle.3.aspx

That being said, resting 4 minutes in between sets is a pain in the ass and results in being in the gym significantly longer.

Comment

3-4 minutes between deadlifts, squats and bench when i'm training over 75% intensity and 5 minutes rest before hitting an ARMAP

Comment

Working...
                  X